The Seattle Planning Commission advises the Mayor, City Council, and City departments on citywide planning goals, policies, and plans and provide them with independent advice on land use, zoning, transportation and housing issues.
The Commission is also the steward of the City’s Comprehensive Plan, the citywide vision for how Seattle grows. You can view our recent reports and other work on the Commission’s website.
Who are the Planning Commissioners?
The Commissioners are a 16 member Commission of neighbors that care about the future of our city. Commissioners have a broad range of skills and perspectives that include land use and transportation planning, community organizing, architecture and design, public health, low-income housing development, and community engagement. Commissioners are volunteers, serving without compensation for up to two terms of three years per term.
The Planning Commission is looking for diverse voices that bring to light issues facing all parts of the city and who can share professional and lived experience from across Seattle’s various communities. We are looking for applicants who:
- bring a commitment to making Seattle a great place to live and have interest in, knowledge of, or professional experience in land use, zoning, or other aspects of planning
- have a strong understanding of racial equity, and the impacts of racialized policies and practices in the field of planning
- have a commitment to community-building and community engagement
- understand transportation investments and how they impact the neighborhoods around them
- can speak to the needs of affordable housing and/or understand what role affordability plays in the city
- have a passion for communicating planning topics to a diverse audience
Applicants must be current resident of Seattle and be able to attend three Commission meetings per month, with occasional community meetings as needed.
How to Apply:
To be considered for appointment to the Commission, please send a letter of interest and resume by post or e-mail by February 28, 2020 addressed to:
Vanessa Murdock, Executive Director
Seattle Planning Commission
PO Box 94788
Seattle WA 98124-7088
Please consider including any voluntary personal information regarding your cultural background, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, or disability that might assist us in meeting the City’s goal to create diverse boards and commissions.
If you have questions, or would like to speak to current Commissioners about their role, please contact Vanessa Murdock, Executive Director at (206) 733-9271 or e-mail Vanessa.Murdock@seattle.gov.
For more information about the Seattle Planning Commission please visit http://www.seattle.gov/planningcommission.
The Commission will also host an open house event on February 13 if you’d like to speak with staff and current Commissioners.