The City of Seattle’s Equitable Development Initiative (EDI) is a set of strategies to address equity in our underserved communities and displacement as Seattle grows. Various EDI strategies will support the City’s efforts to:
- Advance economic mobility and opportunity
- Prevent residential, commercial and cultural displacement
- Build on local cultural assets
- Promote transportation mobility and connectivity
- Develop healthy and safe neighborhoods
To support these goals, Mayor Ed Murray announced last October that the City will dedicate $16 million to establish a new EDI Fund. Several City departments are coordinating to support EDI communities and projects.
In November, Ubax Gardheere joined OPCD to manage the initiative. Ubax comes to us from Puget Sound Sage, and she brings experience in both policy development and community organizing around a diversity of issues.
Expect to hear more about the EDI Fund and decision-making processes soon.